Virtual Tour
St. Mary's Church, Nediasala
Diocese of Kothamangalam, Idukki-kerala-India
Phone :04862 273094 stmaryschurchnediasala@gmail.com

Nediasala Church: Lourdes of Malanadu

Nediasala Church is one of the ancient churches in the Eparchy of Kothamangalam which belongs to the Syro-Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Church.

In the description of the journey of Fr. Melchior Carnerio, to the interior parts of Malabar including Thodupuzha in 1557, mention is made about a Kathanar who was in charge of three churches of the region of Thodupuzha. (cf. Joseph Wicky, Documenta Indica vol. III pp. 795: 809-810). it is highly probable that one of these churches must have been the church of Nediasala. The other two churches must have been Mailakombu and Muthalakodum since these are the three oldest churches on Thodupuzha region (cf: Pius Malakandathil (ed), Jordana of Dom Alexis De Meneses: A Portuguese Account of the sixteenth century Malabar, Kochi, 2003, pp 432-433) moreover, it has been proved beyond doubt that Nediasala church was much active during the period of Synod of Diamper (1599). Perron Du Anquetil who wrote Zend Avesta in 1758 refers to Nediasala as Neriani (vol 1, Paris, 1758 P.33). Paulinus of St. Bartholomew calls it Nediale and refers to a Christian settlement in nediale till 1790s (Ref. Paulinus of St. Bartholomew, India Orientalis Christiana, Roma, 1794, p.267).

In the year 1771, a wild elephant which went berserk destroyed much of the church building and in its fury the church bell was thrown into the nearby pond. Subsequently, the sacred icons, the baptismal fond and other sacred items of the church were arrived off to Marika (which means the place of transfer) where a chapel was started in 1786. the church at Marika was known as Nediasala Church till 1920. from December 8, 1892 onwards, sacramental functions were resumed at the newly built chapel at Nediasala which later gutted down by wild fire.

It is to be noted that the Christian community in and around Nediasala at that time under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Mathew Kochikunnel, the vicar of Marika Church, assiduously endeavored to start building a new church on 10th November 1919 and their pious ambition was brought to fruition when the new church as consecrated on 8th September 1922 which turned out to be the starting point for an uninterrupted sacramental service thereafter. On 10th October 1930 Nediasala church was again raised to the status of an independent parish. Rev. Fr. Joseph Nambiaparambil was appointed the first residing parish priest of the church. The present gorgeous church was constructed under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Joseph Thundianplackal, which was consecrated on May 21, 1968. The sublime stone cross in front of the church is symbolic of our firm faith in tradition and antiquity.

Beginning with the Old Testament incident of the bronze serpent put up by Moses — a symbolic precursor of the Crucified Jesus — the stations in the Holy Land depict all the important events from the life of Jesus, especially His nativity, public ministry, passion, crucifixion, resurrection & ascension and concludes with the scene of Holy Mother Mary being crowned as the Queen of heaven and earth. The Holy Land museum has on display several relics as well as other objects of religious and historical importance. Holy Land is open to the public throughout the day. However, it is most enjoyable in the evenings when the lights are turned on.

News & Events

MASS TIMING & NOVENA TIMING

RELATED and USEFUL LinkS